Sunday, May 01, 2005

...and dogs

I was a little afraid of dogs when I was growing up because I had been bitten by one when I was very little. Only a little afraid because I remember that my grandfather had two springer spaniels that were very sweet--I certainly wasn't afraid of them or of the very adorable puppies the older dog gave birth to. And I once had a boyfriend who owned a yellow lab named Cuervo. The dog was nice enough but nothing special--kind of like the boyfriend, now that I come to think of it.

Some years later I was asked if I wanted to house-sit while I was living in Vermont. It was a great opportunity--free rent for two months, a gorgeous old Victorian house in the middle of the countryside during winter (I never knew how beautiful winter could be until I lived in Vermont), and the chance to get to know my fellow housemate, a very nice guy who was from Pakistan. Just one thing: the house came with two dogs--and I mean huge dogs. I can't remember what breed they were, but I clearly remember when they came out to greet me and immediately jumped up on me. They were as tall as I was. (All right, for those who know me, stop with the Chihuahua jokes.) Fortunately, the owners of the house never asked me if I liked dogs, and I didn't volunteer any information one way or the other. I ended up house-sitting for the two months and falling in love with the Vermont winter, the two dogs, and--no, not the Pakistani housemate. That's not how this story ends.

These days I'm also in love with Muffy, a Shih-Tzu that belongs to my dad and step-mom. Muffy is the sweetest dog I've ever known. She's both playful and gentle, and soooo affectionate; I can't imagine anyone who could resist her. She could be one of the smartest dogs I've ever known, too. Not only does she sometimes watch TV, but she barks at all animals on the screen (but never animals in real life)--including cartoon animals. I once saw her bark at a kind of symbolic representation of a dog. She recognizes the music of certain commercials that have animals and comes running when she hears the first couple of notes played. And she whines when there's any kind of shouting or violence on TV.

Anyway, I no longer seem to be even a little afraid of dogs. (I'll let you know if I change my mind, should a dog suddenly charge, growling and dripping saliva from its razor-sharp teeth.) I've even given some thought to one day getting my own dog....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home